The International Christian Recovery Coalition
The First 2012 North American Conference
May 18-19, 2012
His Place Church, 14061 Chestnut St., Westminster, CA 92683
“Stick with the Winners”
“Living First Century Christianity in Recovery Today;
Rediscovering ‘Old-School’ A.A. in Conference-Approved Literature”
Session One: Friday, May 18, 2012
Doors Open: 6:00 PM
Registration, Music, Displays, Networking 6:00 to 7:00 PM
Conference Start 7:00 to 7:10 PM
Prayer: Rev. Ken B.
Introduction: Pastor Joe Furey
Conference Overview: Rev. Ken B.
Focus One: 7:10 to 7:55 PM
Dick B., Executive Director of the International Christian Recovery Coalition and author of more than 40 titles on A.A. history, A.A.’s Christian predecessors, and applying early A.A. principles in modern Christian Recovery efforts—together with his son and coauthor, Ken B.--will present key passages from A.A. General Service Conference-approved literature and other authoritative resources showing that the original Akron A.A. “Christian fellowship”—from the summer of 1935 until at least April 10, 1939, when the Big Book was published—was amazingly successful in helping “seemingly-hopeless,” “medically-incurable” alcoholics recover primarily because the group, in many ways, was “living” the Book of Acts.
Break: Visit Display Tables & and Network 7:55 to 8:10 PM
Focus Two: 8:10 to 8:55 PM
Dick B. and Ken B., along with volunteer leaders, will elaborate on points made during Part One; and Dick B. and Ken B. will receive and respond to godly questions and suggestions from the audience through the use of an “Ask-It” basket. This is a real opportunity for leaders to share how they are implementing their Christian Recovery Movement programs right now!
[Depending on the size of the audience attending, we may well use the same technique recently employed in Northern California at the workshops, question and answer, and round-table participation by leaders and others attending]
Wrap-Up and Closing Prayer: Rev. Ken B. 8:55 to 9:00 PM
Session Two: Saturday, May 19, 2012
Doors Open: 9:00 AM
Final Registration, Music, Displays, Networking 9:00 AM to 9:30 AM
Conference Start 9:30 AM to 10:00 AM
Prayer: Rev. Ken B.
Introduction by Host Church: Pastor Joe Furey
Conference Overview: Rev. Ken B.
Purposes of the Conference: To enable participants: (1) to hear speakers on how to apply “old-school” A.A. principles and practices today; (2) to get acquainted with Conference-approved literature, “old-school” resources, and a training plan; (3) to partake in refreshments and lunch; (4) to share with a panel of speakers by presenting godly “Ask-It” basket questions and suggestions; and (5) to hear the comments of Christian leaders and workers who are “in the trenches” of Christian Recovery efforts today.
First Speaker: (To Be Announced)
10:00 to 10:50 AM
Break: View displays and networking 10:50 to 11:10 PM
Second Speaker – Russell Spatz, attorney,
Alive Again, Miami, Florida 11:10 to noon
Lunch: (Eat on premises), view displays, network Noon to 1:00 PM
Third Speakers: Dick B. & Ken B. 1:00 to 2:10 PM
International Christian Recovery Coalition plan for training
meetings, a Guide, and Videos presenting the application of
“old-school” A.A. and First Century Christianity principles and
practices in modern Christian Recovery efforts
Break: View displays and network 2:10 to 2:30 PM
Fourth Speaker: Gary Martin, Christian Recovery efforts
at Mariners Church, Irvine, California 2:30 to 3:05 PM
Roger McDiarmid, Christian Recovery
efforts in Southern California 3:05 to 3:40 PM
Break: View displays and network 3:40 to 4:00 PM
Panel Discussion: 4:00 to 5:15 PM
Dick B., Ken B., Russell Spatz,
Gary Martin, Roger McDiarmid
Godly audience questions and comments via “Ask-It” basket
Break: View displays and network: 5:15 to 5:30 PM
Final Speakers: Dick B. and Ken B. 5:30 to 5:55 PM
International Christian Recovery Coalition Plans,
Challenges, and Announcements
Closing Prayer: Rev. Ken B. 5:55 to 6:00 PM
Conference Registration: $25.00 donation
To register for the conference, or for more information, please contact:
Ken B.: Email: email@example.com
Cell: (808) 276-4945
Important Additional Announcements
· Throughout the Conference Trip period from May 14 to May 21, Dick B. and Ken B. will be in Orange County, California. They will be staying at a private home for some of the period and at the Marriott Costa Mesa Hotel.
· They highly value personal meetings, contacts, and discussions with individuals and groups throughout the May 14 to 21 period. These may include: (1) Meetings and or meals with individual leaders and others at places we will be staying. (2) Visiting churches, groups, fellowships, and offices in the area. (3) Conducting review of, and displaying the new “Stick with the Winners” Guide, accompanying exhibits, and accompanying film clips – to stimulate organization and establishment of Classes and/or special study meetings for AAs, NAs, Al-anons, and other support or 12 Step fellowships, and Christian recovery-related programs, fellowships, meetings, classes, and pastoral and chaplain settings.
· Please contact us either before or during the May 14-21 period to arrange to arrange a personal meeting. Please contact Dick B. by email at DickB@DickB.com until May 12, or Ken B. by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on his cell phone at (808) 276-4945 before or during May 14-21.
Sponsors of These Meetings and Conferences
· Hazelden: Treating Addiction, Transforming Lives, Center City, MN
· Episcopal Diocese of Texas Recovery Committee, Rev. Bill Wigmore, Chair, Austin, TX
· Rock Recovery Ministries, ABC Sober Living, Soledad House, David Powers, San Diego, CA
· New Hope Ministry, Golden Hills Community Church, Brentwood, CA: Matt Pierce, Recovery Pastor; David Sadler Group Leader
· Good Book-Big Book Group, Cornerstone Fellowship—Livermore Campus, CA
· Good Book Publishing Company, Maui, HI
· His Place Church, Joe Furey, Pastor, Westminster, CA
· Wally Lowe, Businessman, Christian Recovery Resource Center, Vero Beach, FL
· Richard Skolnik, Addiction Counselor Assistant, Christian Recovery Resource Center, NY
· Bob J., Believer, Philanthropist, Maui, HI
· Rick S., Believer, Businessman, San Jose, CA
· Rob W., Entrepreneur, UT
· Robert Turner, M.D., Medical University of South Carolina
· Sean L., Recovered believer, Seattle, WA
· Dale Marsh, Serenity Pastor, Oroville Church of the Nazarene; International Christian Recovery Coalition Speakers Bureau, Oroville, CA
· Roger McDiarmid, Salesman, International Christian Recovery Coalition Speakers Bureau, Huntington Beach, CA
· Jeff and Debra Jay, Love First: A Family’s Guide to Intervention, Grosse Point, MI
[More expected to be added by Conference Time]
Announcing the New Stick with the Winners! Guide
Dick B. and Ken B., Stick with the Winners!: How to Conduct More Effective 12-Step Recovery Meetings Using Conference-Approved Literature: A Dick B. Guide for Christian Leaders and Workers in the Recovery Arena (Kihei, HI: Paradise Research Publications, Inc., 2012)
[This new book is available at www.DickB.com right now for $9.95]
By the time the May conference arrives, we expect to have: (1) published this book in Print-On-Demand form; (2) completed a series of about ten videos relating to the topics in the book; and (3) made available the resource exhibits that form a training package relating to this book. Already, this book—in spiral-bound form—has been presented to a number of Christian recovery leaders and workers participating in the International Christian Recovery Coalition in several parts of the United States and Canada. In addition, it will enhance recovery efforts already underway at Oroville Church of the Nazarene in Oroville, CA; at New Life Spirit Recovery, Inc., in Huntington Beach, CA; in the Good Book-Big Book Group at Cornerstone Fellowship—Livermore Campus in Livermore, CA; at New Hope Ministry, Golden Hills Community Church in Brentwood, CA; and at several other locations.
This book will be the center piece for discussion, examination, and training at the First 2012 North American Conference of the International Christian Recovery Coalition, and at other meeting places in Orange County, California.